This video is your guide on how to change the oil in your Troy-Bilt® walk-behind mower. Depending on your model, the instructions in this video may vary slightly. Always be sure to check your operator’s manual for detailed instructions on draining oil from a lawn mower.
How to Change The Oil In A Walk-Behind Lawn Mower
- Step 1: Remove the spark plug ignition wire.
- Step 2: Remove the dipstick.
- Step 3: Using a siphon pump, place the orange tube into the dipstick hole on the engine, and the black tube into the oil pan.
- Step 4: Prime the pump by pumping the handle three to four times. Once the liquid begins to flow, it will flow without further pumping.
- Step 5: Remove the orange tube and add new oil as instructed in your operator’s manual.
- Step 6: Replace the dipstick.
- Step 7: Replace the spark plug ignition wire.
- Step 8: Dispose of oil properly.
How often should you change the oil in a walk-behind lawn mower?
Knowing when to change the oil in your walk-behind mower can help keep your engine running smoothly and help maintain its longevity. It’s suggested that you should replace the oil in your lawn mower every 50 hours of use or once a year, whichever occurs first. Get the most out of your tools this season by learning how to tune up a lawn mower with these tips.