Changing the oil on your Troy-Bilt riding lawn mower doesn’t have to be difficult. Here, we’ll show you how with step-by-step instructions on changing the oil using either the drain plug method or the Arnold siphon pump. Depending on your model, the instructions in the video or provided here may vary slightly. Always be sure be sure to check your operator’s manual for detailed instructions.
- Place your riding mower on flat level surface. Turn the mower off. Make sure the engine is cool. Remove the ignition key. Disconnect the spark plug ignition wire. Clean the oil fill and drain area of any debris.
- Remove the dipstick from oil fill tube. If using the Arnold siphon pump, place the black tube into the dipstick hole on the engine, and the orange tube into the oil pan. Prime the pump by pumping the handle three to four times. Once liquid begins to flow, it will flow without further pumping. When the oil has drained, remove the Arnold siphon pump. To remove the oil using the drain plug, position the catch basin, then snap the small end of the oil drain sleeve onto the oil sump. Remove the drain plug and drain the oil into the catch basin. When the oil has drained, replace the drain plug and remove the drain sleeve.
- Remove the air filter. Using oil, lubricate the gasket of the new filter and then install the filter.
- Add new oil as instructed in your operator’s manual. Replace the dipstick. Wait several minutes, then use the dipstick to check the oil level.
- Dispose of the used oil properly. Finally, reattach the spark plug ignition wire.