Five Fall Lawn Care Tips
Summer may have come to an end but that doesn't mean you have to put your lawn care tools in hibernation. Enjoy your yard by using the autumn season to prepare for the months ahead with these five fall lawn care tips.
1. Keep grass short: Leaves and snow can leave you with a matted lawn come springtime. As a preventative measure, keep your lawn short in the fall by lowering the height of your mower blade to about 2 inches.
2. Aerate: Because grass is still growing and the soil is usually moist, fall is the prime time to aerate your yard. This reduces soil compaction and allows air, water and nutrients to reach grass roots.
3. Overseed: Distribute additional grass seed on top of an existing lawn as a way to help thicken and nourish grass for the next spring season.
4. Water: No matter the season, grass still needs water to grow. Water your grass on a regular basis until winter is in full swing and the ground is frozen.
5. Weed control: Just like other plants, weeds prepare for winter by storing food in their roots. To remove stubborn broadleaf weeds like dandelions, thistle and clover, you can either pull or dig weeds out of the ground or use a homemade weed control solution, such as a combination of vinegar, water and dish soap, and then reseed the spots to prevent regrowth.